Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Blind Man

I had a surgery in June of this year which resulted in some nerve damage in my wrist and hand. What I was hoping was only a temporary inconvenience has turned out to be potentially a life long disability. I saw a surgeon yesterday and his take on the situation did not leave me feeling very optimistic. Although I knew of wonderful things that should have comforted me, such as the fact that suffering could draw me closer to God, that suffering helped me share in the experience of Jesus, that everything happens for a reason, and that God is so powerful that He can even bring good from evil; I was still faced with an initial wave of self-pity and despair. However, today the Lord has spoken to me through scripture and lifted my spirit. Praise God for He is so good!

This morning I read the daily devotional of Pastor John Courson, as I do most days. The message felt as if it had been customized to suit me in my time of need. Pastor John spoke of the advice of James who declared "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy." -James 1:2 When we suffer or face trials in life God has an opportunity to show us his goodness. This point was driven home for me as I read the story of Jesus healing the blind man on the way home from school.

Jesus and his disciples came upon a blind man. The disciples questioned Jesus about the origin of the man's lack of vision. He responded, "It was not because of his sins or his parents' sins... THIS HAPPENED SO THE POWER OF GOD COULD BE SEEN IN HIM." -John 9:3 As I read these words my heart lept with joy. My seemingly unfortunate experience can be an opportunity for God display his benevolence and omnipotence to me personally and to others around me! My life will forever be a testimony to His goodness... how perfectly wonderful!

Oh Lord, thank you for watching over me. I know that every instance in my life is another piece of your perfect plan. May I act according to your will always.

No comments:

Post a Comment