Thursday, November 19, 2009

Faith, Reason, and Misdirected Tensions

Today I witnessed great tension and glimpses of animosity resulting from the interactions between Christian believers and non-believers. I would like to point out three different incidences in which this occurred just within the few hours I was at school and then provide some analysis of why these issues might be taking place at all.

Occurrence #1: A Debate Over the Relation of Faith and Reason in Belief
In my Philosophy of Religion class we began the topic of faith and reason and the role each should play in one's belief of God. The first argument presented was 'Pascal's wager' in which Pascal, a Christian, puts forth the idea that one does not need empirical evidence to believe in God. One only needs to look at the options: either you believe in God and act accordingly, or you do not believe and God and do whatever you desire. Now if it turns out that God does exist, and you chose to believe, you reap the benefit of eternal bliss; but, if you chose not to believe and were wrong, you are punished with eternal damnation. Visa versa, if God doesn't exist and you thought He did, there is only a limited finite loss; and if you were right in your disbelief, the potential gain is negligible in comparison. So, Pascal says, what would you bet on?

There are many underlying factors that are not immediately addressed in this summary of Pascal's wager, the most important of which I would argue is that the dilemma it addresses only exists if the empirical evidence for the existence of God is not convincing. Obviously, the heart of Christianity does not propose belief based on a cost-benefit analysis (which Pascal is not recommending). Instead, I think the argument is to be seen as more of a last chance appeal to non-believers' sense of self-interest. However, I believe the empirical evidence for the existence of God is not only substantial, but overwhelming. Philosophic, experiential, personal, and historical evidence is available to any that would take the time to look for themselves.

One can have faith without reason. But if one has faith it becomes their duty to develop the reasons for their faith intelligently. If not only for the fact that one cannot witness effectively to many non-believers without providing their own reasons why they believe. When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was he replied, "You must love your Lord God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind" -Matthew 22:37. One should realize that Jesus did of course want people to have faith, and love in your heart for God is a wonderful way of expressing that. However, one must also recognize that Jesus wants us all to love God with our minds, and having logical reasons for your faith should be a one way in which you display your mindful love of Him. I know that for me personally, before I had come to Christ, I viewed Christians who "believed on faith" and could not give me any other reason why, as illogical and ignorant. Although I now see they knew something that I did not, their lack of reason gave me an excuse to reject their attempts to witness to me. I urge all Christians and non-believers to seek answers and let the truth of Jesus Christ our savior set you free.

Occurrence #2: Darwin's Disciples
As I made my way across campus this afternoon down Library Walk, I passed a table not unlike the others lined up and down the pavement. A few adults stood nearby handing out stickers to students passing by. What was significant about this particular group was that they were handing out free 'Darwin stickers' and in front of their table hung a banner that said something to the effect of "Belief Based on Evidence". The reason this caught my attention was not that these people were staunch evolutionists but that they had decided their specific belief was so important that they had taken the offensive. Also, a thought that ran through my mind at the time was that these people might be so opposed to alternative worldviews (such as Christianity) that they believed society was at risk of degenerating if allowed to continue on in its "illogical" ways. The personal slight at Christianity was apparent in the altering of the classic 'Jesus fish' on their stickers and the implicit and explicit claim that Darwinism is the only set of beliefs justified by evidence.

I would suggest that the reason evolutionists have become so concerned for the well-being of society is that they feel Christians as a whole are an uneducated, unreasonable, ignorant group that have no rational basis for their beliefs. This view is obviously based on incorrect stereotypes but the fact is that it is our responsibility as witnesses for Jesus Christ to share the wisdom of the Word and to set good examples as representatives of the faith. People should not fear a Christian society because their experience has shown them that Christians are hypocritical and without reason. Instead, they should desire a Christian society because they have seen the peace, understanding, and love Christians have for God and for his people.

Occurrence #3: The Preacher
On the opposite end of Library Walk just hours later, I passed by a middle aged man who was standing on a chair and yelling with all his might. This man can be seen in the same spot at least once a week, always yelling. If one were to stop and concentrate, they might be able to pick out a few words here and there such as "Jesus", "God", "saved", etc. This man also has a table and it also has a banner which reads "Got Questions about God?". I have the unique experience of observing this man's behavior both before and after I became a believer. As an agnostic I walked by his table, tuning out his ranting and making judgments about how he was ignorant and annoying. As a believer I walk by the same table and find myself feeling conflicted about his efforts. The goal is an honorable one, to witness to the masses of students who do indeed need saving. The method I feel, however, is ineffective and off-putting for potential spirits that could be won over to Christ.

The Bible makes it very clear that being an effective witness for God is accomplished when you reach someone "where they are at". For example, when preaching to the Gentiles Paul did not cite the Pentateuch. In this same way, chastising young adults with verses of scripture or promises of fire and brimstone should not be used to preach the message of God. The preacher's attempt to witness is completely useless if the students cannot, or do not want, to hear him. Maybe his purpose would be better served if he got down off his chair and sat behind his table and actually answered people's questions and doubts about God as his "Got Questions?" banner would suggest as appropriate.

This issue came into fruition this afternoon as I saw a student grab a close-by chair and pull it next to the preacher's. He proceeded to stand on the chair and face him directly, causing the two to be only inches from one another. The preacher stopped his shouting and the student paused for several seconds before introducing himself. The tension was palpable and a few others stopped to watch what was going on. I felt that the aggressive behavior of the student was his own attempt to show this man that standing on his chair, yelling at students was perceived as him looking down on everyone else (figuratively and literally). By climbing up on the chair, the student made it apparent the preacher needed to meet people at their own level.

I pray that everyone, including myself, learn from these occurrences and are able to be the most effective witnesses to all types of people.. May we love God with all our hearts, souls, and minds!

No comments:

Post a Comment