Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shall I not drink...?

As Jesus was being arrested Simon Peter drew his sword and attacked the high priest's servant. Jesus addressed Peter and said, "Put your sword into its sheath; shall I not drink the cup that the Father has given me?" -John 18:11

I feel that many of us in our lives our like Peter. We fear that things are spinning out of control and so we struggle. We are worried that maybe God does not realize what He is doing. The Lord is by our side and has given us his instructions but the moment things get scary we panic and attempt to 'draw our swords'. Jesus knew his fate, the cup the Father gave him, and so he drank willingly. He faced the ultimate suffering with joy because he understood that when the Father calls on you to serve his will, no matter how unpleasant or terrifying the task may seem, no greater happiness can be found than in fulfilling his plan for you. When we are presented with a challenge on our path with the Lord, let us not turn to worldly defenses and swords, but let us make peace with the cup the Father has given us.

Heavenly Father, I pray that you would give me the courage to walk the path you have lain in front of me. Do not let me pass on the cup you intended for me but rather let me drink and be replenished in the fulfillment of your will.




Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me. -Psalms 23:4

No comments:

Post a Comment