As I depart out of Seattle, WA on my way to Oregon in a rickety old plane, I watch out the small window to my left. It is almost 11:00 pm and all is dark below accept the patterns formed by city lights. It seems he higher we ascend, the more distant and dim the world grows beneath us... Now all is pitch black and for all I know, earth has disappeared from existence completely. A few thoughts come to mind:
-Flying at night is an interesting experience because as I mentioned before, one can make out patterns formed by the glowing street lamps, cars, and business signs. The lights are strangely attractive. I wonder if they do not distract from the glory of God's creation. Sometimes I feel we (myself included) become more consumed by our desire to decorate ourselves and other finite things, then we are with appreciating what God, in his infinite wisdom, has created. We do this as if to demand others' attention, to draw focus onto our needy, insecure selves. But aren't we all just stewards of the Lord, holding onto what is his until comes back to reclaim it? I find that it is difficult to to balance modern individualism and the fact that me being is wholly his.
-It is intriguing that as I distance myself farther and farther from the earth and draw closer and closer to the heavens, the lights below lose their luster. It is easy for one to fall into a trap of seeking happiness through worldly pleasures, especially when that person finds himself surrounded by the sin and temptation that is so prevalent in our society. Just as the city lights hide the stars above; lust, greed, and all forms temptation hide the treasure of God's light. Let us rise above worldly desires so that we may see true happiness in the Lord without distraction.
-Complete darkness outside and the reading light above my seat mean that when I look out the window, trying to distinguish some recognizable form, all I see is a reflection of myself. This phenomenon has caused me to further reflect (no pun intended) on something I just read in Gordon MacDonald's Ordering Your Private World: He emphasized the extreme importance of quiet time for self analysis and to listen to what God is saying to you; a time devoid of any distractions or obligations other than to simply listen. Although my surroundings are far from quiet (being that the airplane' engines are fighting hard to be the only thing audible--- and are winning I might add) the solitude found in the emptiness outside my window truly does allow me to focus on reflection. Since I have become a Christian I have been told many times that God often speaks to us in whispers. For me, I know this to be the case and I fear my years of sin apart from God have brought about an accumulation of metaphorical ear wax, further debilitating my hearing. I must always remember then, that spiritual silence and loneliness are not results of God's neglect, bu rather a result of my own negligence. If I want to hear the Lord, I must stop and listen to the Lord.
MacDonald names four spiritual excercises that can help. They are simple, but not necessarily easy: "the pursuit of solitude and silence; regular listening to God; the experience of reflection and meditation; and prayer as worship and intercession".
I pray that I would adopt these exercises as every day practices that might bring me closer in my relationship with God. May I always be attuned to his voice; always hearing, always listening...
(post from 12/11/09)
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

hey Rhett, great to read your post. i also love looking out the window of airplanes... makes me feel appropriately small in comparison to God's awesome creation. one phenomenon of flying that i particularly enjoy is departing a cloudy or rainy city, breaking through the clouds, and seeing the radiant sun. reminds me that even when our lives seem cloudy, God's perspective is one of light, hope, joy.
ReplyDelete-Quen