Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Eve... a time that many, like myself, pause a moment to reflect on the passing year and to make plans for the year to come. 2009 has been arguably the most influential period in my life. I can imagine no decision more transformative than to commit oneself to following Jesus Christ. Even in a decade or two of time seemingly wasted, this single declaration of dedication to our savior provides meaning and purpose beyond measure. I will always remember 2009 as the year I accepted God's perfect love and the salvation that His love entails.

Tradition dictates that one ought to make a resolution of sort, a promise of good intentions for the new year -- getting off on the right foot. Typically I do not partake in this pastime, but as I am a new man I thought it might be a nice change of pace, as well as a good way to provide a sense of accountability.

One tangible mission that I would like to take on in 2010 is to read through the entire Bible. Old Testament, New Testament... you name it, I want to read it, understand it, and apply it. My good friend Quen has given me a fantastic day by day scheduled break down of how I might accomplish my goal. It is amazing how simple it looks on paper, just a few verses each day. I invite anyone and everyone to join me in this endeavor. Let's make daily reading in the Bible a priority. Like a healthy breakfast, spending time in God's inspired Word every morning can set the tone for the rest of the day.

A second resolution for the quickly approaching new year was inspired by the book of Romans. Now in the Apostle Paul's letter to his Christian brothers in Rome, he lays down some pretty heavy theology; but I think the core of his message can be simplified in three main points.
First, all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God -Rom 3:23. The key to this point is the inclusiveness: None is righteous, no, not one -Rom 3:10. This means you, me, your friend, that stranger... everyone! So why should anyone care? We are all sinners... big deal... right?
Wrong. For the wages of sin is death Rom 6:23. This is the second point. We all have sinned and therefore we all deserve death.
Finally, although "the wages of sin is death", we are justified by His grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Jesus Christ, whom God put forward as a propriation by his blood, TO BE RECIEVED BY FAITH-Rom 3:24-25 . This is fantastic news! For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life -John 3:16. Praise God for He is so good that while in our wretched state, He willingly died for us on the cross.
So where then does the resolution come in? Well despite the great joy in my heart, knowing I am saved through Christ Jesus, there remains an air of sadness knowing how many others have not found that same joy. So many people, my friends and family included, have not accepted God's gift of redemption. And until one receives that gift through faith in Jesus, they must still be judged according to their sins, and the penalty is death. A pardon unaccepted cannot save. Therefore my second resolution is to share the gospel at every opportunity. I have a tendency to be shy and witnessing to others can be a difficult thing This year I want to put that aside in order to give to others the hope and happiness and purpose that is waiting for them if they would only ask for it.

Dear Lord Jesus, let 2010 be a wondrous year. Give me strength as I try to share your Word with others. Do not let my fear or insecurities keep me from doing what I know is right. Let your Spirit speak through me that they might hear the message and learn of your perfect love. Help me spread this joy and peace you give freely to those that have faith in you.


written 12/31/09

No comments:

Post a Comment