Sunday, January 17, 2010

At a Loss for Words

It has been awhile. I have not written anything in quite some time. Today I had my sabbath, a time of rest, reflection, and communication with the Lord; and so I had a great desire to produce some unified idea or truth based on all of the prayer and Bible readings from this afternoon and the past week. As much as I pondered and stared blankly at the screen, nothing came to me. I simply did not know what to say.

So too, we may have times when we feel we are at a loss for words. Maybe you want to talk to a friend or co-worker about your Faith but are afraid that you won't be able to answer all of their questions or say the right thing. It might be that you become so worried or nervous that you are incapacitated and simply never act. Who are we to speak of such glorious things anyway?

Good news! As Jesus prepared his disciples to go out into a world full of sin and hostility, 'as sheep in the midst of wolves', He said this:
you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles. When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour. For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you -Matt 10:18-20.
Indeed it can be scary to try and share the gospel...up against unbelieving, uninterested, and unrepentant souls. But be comforted, for you are not alone. The Holy Spirit is in you and will put the rights words in your mouth when the time comes!

Praise you oh Lord! Your Spirit resides in our hearts. We can be comforted knowing that we do not face doubtful eyes or difficult questions on our own. I pray that you would continue to use your Spirit to guide us as we further your Kingdom. When we are at a loss for words, speak your message clearly and effectively through our mouths. Thank you for this gift. Let us use it according to your will. Amen


[written 1/16/10]

No comments:

Post a Comment